Wednesday 4 August 2010

A Blast from Animator's Past!!



It's officially summer for me now, no more uni and no work for 2 months!! So I've left the land of Bristol to stay with my parents for the remainder of the holiday, and whilst sorting out the dumping ground that my vacated room had become I encountered a blast from the past, a glimpse at where my bug to animate actually came from!

In the last year of the National Diploma in Fine Art course at college, I was able to write my own brief for the Final Major Project. I chose to Illustrate the Children's novel Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer, and along with the series of illust
rations for the book I decided to try my hand at animating one of the characters!
I took the centaur character; Foley, and researched Muybridge's series of photographs of a horse in motion and coupled it with his photos of a man running to create a run/gallop cycle for a centaur!





























Prior to this I had not animated anything more advanced than a simple flick book, and with no instruction on the basic principles of animation, I dived right in! Looking at this snippet now I can see PLENTY of faults in both movement and timing, but back then when seeing it in motion for the first time I remember getting this magical feeling of seeing a character I had created, that had previously been nothing more then a static drawing on a page, suddenly leap to life!
And I still get that feeling even now, with any animation I do! It is that feeling that got me hooked!

No comments:

Post a Comment