Friday 15 March 2019

Pet Portraits - Group Portrait, pt.2

Hello there pet lovers!

This morning I'm going to be sharing the second half of the process behind a very special Pet Portrait which was commissioned last year.

This Portrait features beloved pets; Ollie, Bubble, Bailey and Suzy. The completed commission measures 50cm x 50cm and is a mixed media piece combining Watercolour and Pencil colours.

When I posted last I had just shown you the completed watercolour backgrounds for each section of the portrait (if you missed this, then catch up here!)

Today I'm going to continue where I left off and share the colouring process for each animal.

Step 5: Another Watercolour Wash


Because each individual portrait measured 25cm x 25cm, I decided to lay a watercolour wash as a base layer to work on with the coloured pencils, thereby giving an even covering and ensuring that no part would be left patchy over such a large surface area.
This also gave me an idea of how each of the animals individual colouring and marking would sit upon the watercolour background behind them, and a projected view of the completed piece!






Step 6: Pencil colour 


The next step was just a matter of using the photo reference my client provided and building up the layers of colour that make up each animal's markings and fur, starting with lighter tones and then defining markings and waves in the fur with darker pencils and bolder strokes.





Step 7: Finished!


All that remained to do is to add the finishing touches!
The whiskers I painted on using white acrylic and a fine brush, then I worked back into them with a pencil to add definition and mass. I also took a colouring pencil to the watercolour backgrounds behind each pet, adding a bit of subtle cross hatching to lift the animal from the two-dimensional backdrop.





And there you have it! One 50cm x 50cm group pet portrait, framed and ready to go to it's forever home! Thank you so much for commissioning this Mo, I really did have a lot of fun with what is easily my largest portrait commission to date! And I hope the rest of you enjoyed these posts showing the process.



If there is anyone out there who would like a portrait like this of their beloved pet then email me at: sara_dunkerton@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment