Friday 8 August 2014

Minion Mayhem - Kevin!

Minion mayhem is gonna sweep this blog shortly as I've been asked to make a trio of the little yellow mischief makers!
So to get the ball rolling, here is Kevin!

The Minons should prove pretty straightforward to make, with their rounded bodies and simple colour scheme, Kevin here was no exception. I shall be building each minion up in the same way as I have with Kev, so I'll only go through the making process once. 
Here's how its done!

 


As with all my Needle Felted makes I begin with a sketch, in this case Kevin is the tallest of the three Minons that I'm going to be making, so I needed to plan to make sure they're all going to be in scale with one another. I started with a simple wire armature and loosely felted a core finer around it for his body, I then felted a yellow wool over this.

 
 Next I worked on shaping his body a little more and then felted wool around his wire arms.

 

I then felted his blue dungarees onto the lower half of his body and worked on the definition of the side pockets.

 

He was looking slightly legless, so it was time to add those next.

 

 
And then I worked on his goggles (or is it goggle if he only has one eye?) 
Firstly felt the grey base of the goggle separately leaving a raised ridge around the outside to accommodate his eye and then attach it to his body. Then you felt the black strap around his head followed by the grey attachments to the base either side to cover up the ends.

 

Next up are his feet, which are simply black balls of wool felted around the wire armature. This step may take a bit of tweaking and adding to to get him to stand without support.

 
And now his hands! The palms were done in a similar way to the feet, just balls of black wool felted around the armature, but fingers were all felted separated to the hand and attached one by one, possibly the trickiest part of this make. Once the cuffs of his gloves are added to cover the rough ends, his hands are done!

 
Finally we have the last few touches, Kevin's eye was just a ball of white wool felted into space inside the raised ridge we'd left and his iris and pupil are another couple of tiny balls of brown and black wool felted into position. Kevin's grumpy little frown is just another slim strand of black wool, as is the G logo on the front pocket of his dungaree's, which was felted separately and attached before the logo was placed. I also glued on a couple of small black beads for his buttons.




Lastly the hair is just a few strands of black cotton thread sewn into the top of his head and felted down a little to secure it in slightly. And there you have it!


 Dave and Stuart will be joining Kevin, so if you're a minion fan keep an eye out!


No comments:

Post a Comment